Blood Donation || 08-18-2011
Phoenix Para Medical College Pulwama organized a Seminar on “Swine Flu” at the college campus. A number of students from different schools like Holly Mission Sec. School, Radiant Public High School, Al Habeeb Public High School etc and lot of local citizens in addition to the students and whole staff of the college participated in the Seminar. There was a general discussion about the Swine Flu, its causes, symptoms, preventive measures and cures. The following doctors/ staff gave their speech and discussed about the Swine Flu:-
Dr. Rajinder Singh (I/c Principal), Dr Syed Muzamil(Lecturer), Dr Shabir Ahmad(lecturer), Ms Badakhshan(Tutor), Sheikh Sheeraz Ahmad(student of College), Neelofar Jan,Afreen Jan(students of Radiant Public School),Ms Sumi Yousuf(General Secretary), Dr Arsheed Ahmad Andrabi(From District Hospital Pul). All these discussed about the Swine Flu as:-
What is Swine Flu?
Swine Influenza Flu (Swine Flu) is a respiratory disease of pigs caused by Type A Swine Flu Virus. People with swine influenza virus infection should be considered potentially contagious as long as they are symptomatic and possibly for up to 7 days following illness onset. Children especially younger children might potentially be contagious for long periods.
How serious is Swine Flu?
Like Seasonal Flu, Swine Flu can vary in intensity from mild to severe. Like any flu Swine flu can be serious, young children, the elderly and the infirm are at higher risk for contracting the virus.
What are the Symptoms of the Swine Flu?
The Swine Flu can cause:-
High Fever, Cough, Sore Throat, Body Aches, Chills, Fatigue, Vomiting, Diarrhea.
How can you help prevent the Swine Flu?
There is no vaccine currently available to protect against Swine Flu. There are every day actions that can be taken to help prevent the spread of these germs.-
· Wash your hands frequently:-Wash your hands with soap and water for 15-20 seconds.
· Use Antibacterial gels to clean your hands frequently.
· Sneeze or cough into a tissue and throw the tissue away in a wastebasket.
· Wash your hands after touching common objects in your environment such as Doorknobs or Desks.
· Do not touch your face especially your eyes, nose and mouth.
· Avoid being around people that are sick.
· Stay home if you feel sick.
· Contact your doctor if you suspect you have the Swine Flu.
· Keep your self healthy. Eat a well balanced diet exercise regularly, manage stress, drink plenty of fluids and get enough sleep.
Advice for caring of an infected person at Home.
· Stay home for 7 days after the start of illness and fever is gone.
· Get plenty of rest.
· Drink clear fluids (such as water, broth, sports, drinks, electrolyte, beverages for infants) to keep from being dehydrated.
· Cover coughs and Sneezes. Clean hands with soap and water.
· Avoid close contact with others.
Is the current influenza vaccine effective against Swine Flu?
The H1N1 Swine Flu viruses are antigenically very difficult from human H1N1 viruses and therefore vaccines for human seasonal flu would not provide protection from H1N1Swine Fl viruses.
Ho is the Swine Flu treated?
The prescription Antiviral Medications Oseltamivir and Zonamivir can make symptoms milder and recovery faster. These drugs are prescription medication that can be administered in pill, liquid and inhaler forms. These drugs fight the Flu by keeping the virus from spreading within your body. For treatment Antiviral Drugs work best if started within a day or two of symptoms. So it is important to seek medical attention at first sign of illness.
At last the chairman & MD of the college passed a message for the participants that the Govt. is taking every step for controlling and eradicating this dreadful disease. But there is the need to follow the preventive measures and cures sot that this disease would die off itself.